Why I Cannot Wait to Turn 21
By Morgan Taylor
Holy Beaches, liquor and hangovers, spring break 2012 is finally here. Although I will be spending my Spring break in beautiful, sunny Gary, Indiana (insert dramatic eye roll here) my best friends will be spending their week in Miami, Florida, without me.
Why am I not going to Miami with my friends you ask? Is it because you have to stay home and study? No. Were you not able to afford it? No. Are you opposed to fun? No. Why will you not be joining your friends for 5 days of fun on South Beach, you ask, because I have not been accepted into the 21 and up club yet.
I still have 48 days until my 21st birthday. My friends are 21 and older and will be able to legally buy drinks and get into clubs, which is the main source of fun in Miami, besides the beach, which I am sure will be filled with half naked women holding beers and topless men, holding beers. If I had gone with them I would have had to scout out a suitable fake ID and sneak into clubs which if I am not mistaken is illegal in Miami.
While I wallow in my misery and countdown the days, minutes and hours until my birthday, I decided to make a top 10 list of reasons why I cannot wait until I am 21.
10. I will be able to legally purchase alcohol in the United States.
9. I will be able to legally consume alcohol in the United States.
8. I will be able to purchase a hotel room without a parent or guardian in the United States.
7. I will be able to purchase a handgun.
6. I will be able to gamble in a casino.
5. My car insurance will be lower.
4. I will be able to get inside of bars and clubs.
3. I will be able to sit at the bars at restaurants.
2. I will be able to rent a car.
And the number one reason why I cannot wait to be 21 years old is…I will be able to go anywhere in the world and partake in the international peacemaker that is alcoholic beverages.
But since I still have 48 days left, and will have to spend my spring break at home with family, I will make the best of it, by working out, enjoying my family and looking at my friends’ spring break pictures on facebook.